The Blackhawks seem to have found a solution for their lack of salary cap space.
Chicago has sent forward Marian Hossa and, more important, the rest of his contract to the Coyotes, the Blackhawks announced Thursday.
Along with Hossa, the Coyotes will receive forward Vinnie Hinostroza, defenseman Jordan Oesterle and a third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft. The Blackhawks will get forwards Marcus Kruger, MacKenzie Entwistle, Jordan Maletta, defenseman Andrew Campbell and a fifth-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.
Hossa, 39, comes with the last three years of his contract worth $5.275 million, even though his career is over. Last year, doctors said side effects from medication he takes for a skin condition are too severe for Hossa to continue playing.
He also is allergic to the equipment he would be required to wear in games, which made it impossible for him to play.
By getting rid of Hossa and his contract, the Blackhawks have some flexibility under the cap and will be able to work more on their roster.
Originally, the Blackhawks didn’t want to send over Hinostroza, 24, after general manager Stan Bowman repeatedly said he wanted the forward to continue to grow with the team. But he became a casualty when the team realized it would get back the money for Hossa’s contract.
Chicago is looking to get back to the playoffs after it missed them for the first time in nine seasons in 2018.
The Coyotes are no strangers to taking on big contracts for salary-cap purposes, azcentral.com noted. Most recently, they onboarded Pavel Datsyuk’s $7.5 million deal along with the No. 16 pick in the 2016 draft.