It is a Rob Thomas day, my friends. “Man, it’s a hot one.” How “Smooth” was that? (I’m sorry.)
- ICYMI: Greg Cronin’s official designation is now associate coach (which is apparently drastically different enough from “assistant coach” that it was termed a promotion). [Islanders | LHH]
- In appreciation of Casey Cizikas: this article analyzes Cizikas’ play over the last few years and whether his extension is worth and folks, I gotta tell ya, the term still sucks but $3.5 million AAV isn’t as bad as I originally thought, given this evidence.
- Remember Rob Davison? The guy who scored the hysterical cross-ice goal against Vesa Toskala and the Maple Leafs? The Leafs just hired him to their front office. Attacking the problem at the source, it appears. [Sporting News]
- Matt Finn, not tendered an offer by the Sound Tigers, signed with the Charlotte Checkers in the Hurricanes organization. Bon voyage! [Soundin’ Off]
- Stan Fischler runs down how the three metro area teams survived the summer. Oh, Stan. [MSG]
- Anders Lee helps out his local TV news station with some trick shot entertainment. I recommend you watch, if only to contrast how good Lee is at this with how bad the news folks are at it.
- The Isles Fantasy Camp that Dan had written about last week was a fine success. A jolly good time, even! [Islanders]
- EJ Hradek and Doug Weight were mic’d up for the Blue-White scrimmage at the Fantasy Camp, and Weight is a very funny dude. Also, extremely odd to see Garth Snow in skater’s gear instead of goalie gear.
Not Islanders News
- Following the NHL journey of Brian Campbell – I completely forgot he was ever with the Sabres. [Puck Daddy]
- The AHL will be allowing players on minor league contracts to play in the Olympics – so those on NHL/AHL two-ways will not be allowed to attend, from my understanding. [Washington Post]
- Colton Parayko and the Blues are divided on contract negotiations with arbitration looming, but this article states that a short-term deal wouldn’t be the worst thing from the Blues angle.
- Brandon Pirri will be heading to Switzerland next season. Larry Brooks makes sure the door hits his ass on the way out. [NY Post]
- Valeri Nichushkin will return to the Stars in 2018-19, probably staying in Russia this season for Olympic purposes. [NHL.com]
- Mile High Hockey takes a look at Matt Duchene and what he’s worth.
- A very thorough analysis of zone entries and exits from Original Six Analytics. I plan to read through it more when I get home from work today.
- The folks in Thunder Bay, Ontario will get a treat when the Celebrity Hockey Classic comes to visit.
— DaBeautyLeague (@DaBeautyLeague) July 20, 2017