CHICAGO — Despite Patrick Kane not having to face criminal charges in an alleged sexual assault case, a new report says the NHL is continuing its own investigation into the Blackhawks star.
The Chicago Tribune reports that the NHL will conduct its own review of the case, in which a woman in New York accused Kane, 27, of sexual assault back in August. No charges were filed against Kane and the Blackhawks forward never spoke to officials about the investigation. Erie County (N.Y.) District Attorney Frank Sedita III later determined charges weren’t warranted.
Kane maintained his innocence throughout the investigation, apologizing to teammates for the distraction but emphasizing that he would be absolved of any wrongdoing.
On Friday NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league’s investigation is still “ongoing,” saying, “We have to satisfy ourselves with the facts,” the Tribune reported.
Kane did not miss any playing time amid the criminal investigation and is currently the league leader in points scored for the 2015-16 season.
Earlier this season Kane set a Blackhawks franchise record by notching at least one point in 26 consecutive games.
Kane is the Blackhawks’ lone representative in this year’s All-Star Game.