On the Washington Capitals …
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Mid Atlantic: With the injury to Jay Beagle, Gormley wonders if they will look outside the organization to fill their third line center position. He mentions Mike Richards, who is skating with Kitchener Rangers of the OHL. The Sharks might be interested in Richards according to a report.
On the Chicago Blackhawks …
- Steve Rosenbloom of the Chicago Tribune: Rosenbloom thinks the Blackhawks need to add a top-six forward and a top-four defenseman if they want to repeat as a Stanley Cup Champions. Due to their salary cap situation, they may not be able to add one, nevermind both. Rosenbloom wonders if GM Stan Bowman will be faced with the decision to trade, say, Teuvo Teravainen or Trevor van Riemsdyk to upgrade their present roster.
On five players Contenders could trade for …
- Nicholas Goss of NESN: Looks at five players that contending teams should look at.
- Steven Stamkos (TB) – If the Lightning decide to trade Stamkos, and if he approves it, it could land them a top-six forward, a good prospect and a first round pick. May only be a temporary setback for the Lightning.
- Eric Staal (CAR) – His $8.25 million cap hit may mean that big salary would have to be sent back to the Hurricanes. Staal has a no-trade clause and may not want to leave Carolina.
- Dustin Byfuglien (WPG) – Will likely be overpaid on his next deal, but he’s not a risk for someone trading for him at the deadline. He can be a game-changer.
- Andrew Ladd (WPG) – If the Jets decide to trade him, there should be lots of teams interested. A top-six winger, can log 20 minutes a game if needed and brings leadership and Cup experience.
- P.A. Parenteau (TOR) – A depth piece that someone may want to acquire at the trade deadline. Can provide scoring depth in a third-line role.