2014 Sports Business Awards: The National Hockey League was awarded three of the most prestigious honors tonight – winning “Sports League of the Year,” “Sports Executive of the Year” recognition for Commissioner Gary Bettman and “Sports Event of the Year” for the 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic.
The annual event, hosted by The SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily, honors excellence in sports business for the period from March 1, 2013 – February 28, 2014. The awards were presented before a record crowd of more than 800 at a special ceremony held at the New York Marriott Marquis in Manhattan. In addition, the Lifetime Achievement Award that was presented to Pittsburgh Steelers owner, Dan Rooney
Below is the full list of 2014 Sports Business Awards winners across 15 different categories.
1) Lifetime Achievement Award: Dan Rooney
2) Sports Executive of the Year: Gary Bettman, NHL
3) Sports League of the Year: NHL
4) Sports Sponsor of the Year: Pepsi Beverages Co.
5) Best in Sports Media: NBC Sports Group
6) Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services: Team Epic
7) Sports Team of the Year: Golden State Warriors
8) Best in Property Consulting, Sales and Client Services: CAA Sports
9) Sports Event of the Year: 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic
10) Athletic Director of the Year: Kevin White, Duke University
11) Best in Digital Sports Media: NBC Sports Group
12) Best in Talent Representation and Management: Excel Sports Management
13) Sports Facility of the Year: Madison Square Garden
14) Best in Sports Television: NBC Sports Group
15) Best in Sports Event and Experiential Marketing: GMR Marketing
16) Best in Sports Technology: Experience